MUSIC THAT DOESN'T ADD UP/MUSIC THAT WORKS OUT

Wednesday 14 April 2010

GAY MARVIN

Pronounced Gay Marveen, this anonymous producer descends from Detroit and describes himself as a creepy, campy, shadowy hedonist.

Over the last couple of years I have been collecting his edits which were first released under 'Secret mixes &; Fixes' and more recently under Gay Marvin. The former includes some great re-edits of Tom Tom Club, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Duran Duran & The Slits.
The later taking more of a camp disco route which includes re-edits of Grace Jones, Sylvester, Shalamar and Divine.

The re-edits are only released on limited vinyl runs, so many an hour has been spent on discogs getting them in from all over the shop!

Thanks to the joys of a USB turntable, I have ripped two tracks by Tom Tom Club and Shamalar for your listening pleasure, enjoy...

http://www.mediafire.com/?04mjimhynzr

http://www.mediafire.com/?tiuigyktvjd

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge fan of punk/post-punk re-edits a la SirBilly, Betty Botox and Burglar Tom et al...I would love to hear the Banshees and Slits re-edits...if you are willing, I have a large collection of weird and wonderful re-edits I would be happy to swap for them, just say the word(s).

    ps> Great live video in the post below...though I guess the fact some people are asking where you got the name from means I am getting way old, I forget there is a new generation who have never heard of the track or gods forbid, Devo themselves...still I guess they have the joy of discovering them for the first time.

    ReplyDelete